A Brief History of St. John Lutheran Church of Hicksville, Ohio
The Lost Creek Church began with ten charter members in 1849. Lutheran church services began in Hicksville in 1859. Regular Lutheran services began at the Presbyterian Church in Hicksville in 1871. St. John Lutheran organized with twenty three members in 1877. The new Lutheran Church building went up at the corner of Smith and Maple streets in 1884. In 1926, the Lost Creek Church merged with St. John Lutheran in Hicksville.
In 1950, the Men’s Brotherhood was established. In 1951, St. John Lutheran Church sponsored a family of six displaced people from Europe. In 1952, eight property lots on High Street were purchased for $5200. The congregation voted in 1956 to proceed with building plans for the High Street property. Ground breaking came in 1957 and the new building was dedicated in 1958. The parsonage was built in 1966. Stained glass windows in the church were installed in 1972. A new addition was added to the church along with a donated organ in 1974.
The Martin Luther Scholarship fund was established to help any college bound graduate from St. John in 1984. The Child Care Center was established in 1988 and continues to this day. The Doeden Endowment Fund for Church Vocations was started in 1991. Our first of four interns was installed in 1993. The Focus on People fund was established in 1998. The first contemporary worship service began on Easter Sunday in 2000. The congregation participated in the Faith Comes by Hearing program in 2002. Adventure Club (afterschool program for community children) began in 2008. In 2012, the congregation restored our stained glass windows, read the One Year Bible program, and established a monthly free meal ministry. St. John continues to work to bring the story of the Cross into and around the community of Hicksville and the world.